- To avoid any chance of conflict of interest only engage a licensed asbestos assessor who is not also an asbestos removalists or demolition contractor.
- The assessor should be independent and have no business connection with any asbestos removalists or demolition contractors they may recommend.
Asbestos clearance certificates may only be issued by independent, licensed asbestos assessors. Each Australian state and territory government has a website list of licensed asbestos assessors and also licensed asbestos removalists, demolition contractors and testers. To find their websites and contact phone numbers, see the Bernie Banton Foundation’s Asbestos Awareness Information Page listed below (this page also has notes on how to navigate each site):
Some other ways to find licensed asbestos professionals in your area are:
- Go to the Useful Links tab
- Check out your local paper and the Yellow Pages (hard copy or online) for your local area, also use Google or other search engines online – look under the headings:
- Asbestos Removalists;
- Asbestos Assessors;
- Asbestos Testing; and
- Demolition Contractors (must be licenced to remove asbestos).
- Your local Council;
- Your State or Territory WorkSafe or SafeWork office direct by phone; and/or
- The Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency
Phone: 1300 363 079
Before deciding on who to use please read the Bernie Banton information page: Questions To Ask Asbestos ASSESSORS and REMOVALISTS