Our Mission and Aims
During those all-consuming years Bernie spent as the public face for asbestos-disease sufferers of Australia, behind the scenes, I very much 'walked the walk' with him. I was every bit as passionate as Bernie for the cause, and even more so with his passing in November 2007.
With Bernie suffering pleural plaques, asbestos-related pleural disease, asbestosis and ultimately mesothelioma, I feel I have a well-grounded understanding of the rollercoaster of emotions, fears, anger, and despair which asbestos disease sufferers and their families experience.
To offer support, comfort, encouragement, hope and a listening ear to sufferers of asbestos disease, their carers and loved ones.
Our Primary Aims
- Provide support and information to asbestos related disease sufferers and their families
- Facilitate community awareness of asbestos and its' dangers throughout Australia
To further the advancement of these objectives, we aim to:
- Work with other Asbestos Related Disease (ARD) support organisations, Australia wide.
- Promote research into asbestos-related diseases.
- Lobby on behalf of asbestos related disease sufferers, their families, as well as researchers and support workers in the field of asbestos-related diseases.
- Undertake fundraising activities and the procurement of donations for the purpose of supporting this vital work.