Our Mission and Aims
During those all-consuming years Bernie Banton spent as the public face for asbestos disease sufferers of Australia, behind the scenes, his wife Karen, very much 'walked the walk' with him. She was every bit as passionate as Bernie for the cause, and even more so with his passing in November 2007.
It was this passion that led to the establishment of the Bernie Banton Foundation in 2009, to carry on Bernie's legacy of advocating for the rights of asbestos related disease sufferers and creating awareness about the dangers of asbestos.
- Be a voice and catalyst toward the eventual elimination of asbestos related disease suffering and death.
- Alleviate asbestos exposure and resultant suffering through awareness and advocacy.
- Facilitate community awareness and education regarding asbestos and its’ dangers;
- Advocate on behalf of asbestos related disease (ARD) sufferers and their families, as well as associated entities such as ARD researchers, allied health workers and educators;
- Promote research within Australia into asbestos related diseases, including lobbying as regards funding for this purpose;
- Work with other asbestos related disease support organisations; and
- Undertake fundraising activities for the procurement of contributions and sponsorship to support the fulfillment of the objectives of the Company.